Project Management Professionals
Who We Are
We are a team of building experts and project management professionals who help our clients make smart, informed decisions about buildings and property. We are a world-class building and construction consultancy focused to delivering SOLUTIONS for those who own, or work in the building or buildings business, by applying our expertise in (1.) building performance analysis, (2.) building economics, and (3.) construction management.
We are a team of smart people who like to think hard, solve problems and do excellent work.
What We Do
Pete Fowler Construction does three things: building inspection & testing of many types; construction management, specifically estimating and building maintenance and rehabilitation management for owners; and building claims and litigation consulting related to everything imaginable that could make someone sad about real estate. We have refined processes, technology, and consultants who are expert in building performance analysis, building economics, and construction management.
Inspection & Testing
- Building & Property Inspection: Property Condition Assessment (PCA), pre-construction documentation, course of construction documentation, and claim-related inspections.
- Cause & Origin Building Damage Investigations for Owners, Managers, Contractors, Insurers, and Lawyers.
- Testing: Leak testing, quality control testing during construction, and claim-related testing.
- Quality Assurance: QA plans and inspections during and after construction.
- Plan / Design Review prior to construction.
- Property Rehabilitation and Maintenance Management for Owners, Managers, and during receivership. This includes serving as an Owner's Representative or Construction Manager to budget the project, coordinate the design, compose specifications for maintenance and/or repairs, soliciting and tendering for bids, composing contracts, change order management, and payment processing.
- Cost Estimating: Budgeting prior to construction. Pricing changes during and after construction.
Building Claims & Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation: Plaintiff. GC/Developer. Cross (Third-Party) Defendants. Manufacturers & Suppliers.
- Traditional Construction Claims related to Changes, Costs & Schedule, Contract Termination, Subrogation of an Underlying Claim
- Property & General Liability Claims, Slip, Trip & Fall, Property Damage / Cause & Origin, Construction Site Accidents
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes, typically at Lease Termination
Building Lifecycle Management (BLM)
Building Lifecycle Management (BLM) is a unique combination of our inspection & testing and construction management services, profoundly informed by our building claims & litigation work. After a lifetime developing professional construction management, contracting and estimating discipline, and 20 years as expert witnesses paid to create the most cost effective solutions for construction defects, we refined a science-based framework and proved time and again that it worked to figure out what needed to be fixed, what did not, and how to do it.
Now we apply that framework for building owners, managers, and receiverships to save money and get the closest thing to a guarantee of quality possible in the construction industry. Our BLM services are designed to help clients make intelligent, fact-based, decisions about building design, construction, maintenance, repair, and improvement, while considering the entire service-life and lifetime-costs of the property. Our BLM Process is an interconnected, engineered suite of construction services that is a step-by-step solution for managing maintenance, repairs, improvements or rehabilitation. These services generally cost 5-15% of construction cost and they ALWAYS save more than they cost.
See our BLM homepage for more details and case studies.
Our clients include property owners & managers, governmental organizations, developers & contractors, product manufacturers & suppliers, insurers and lawyers. Every year we work on projects as widely varying as single-family residences, multi-family projects, mixed use developments, commercial, institutional, industrial, low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise construction. We operate both in the private and public sectors and with for-profit as well as non-profit organizations
What Makes Us Different
OUR CORE VALUES
Act with Integrity. Solve the Problem. Do Awesome Work.
What Our Values Mean In Practice
Act with Integrity
- We have a bias toward ACTION.
- We never do anything unethical.
- We put client interests ahead of the firm’s.
- We always consider costs vs. benefits.
- We have an obligation to dissent; that is, we have the courage to apply professional judgment and articulate our opinions, even when they are not popular.
Solve the Problem
- We have learned that complex problem solving is best done by a diverse, healthy team.
- We always hypothesize a solution before we begin. Every project is "engineered backward." We ask "What is the best possible outcome?" And we plan accordingly.
- Every project has a written plan, including an Objective and Milestones, and we communicate this plan to applicable stakeholders (especially the people we expect to pay us).
- We frequently compare our performance to the plan.
- "No plan can be considered complete - or satisfactory - until it produces measurable outcomes and incorporates mechanisms that allow mid-course corrections based on results." - Judith Rodin
Do Awesome Work
- We do high quality work that makes us proud.
- We always communicate in plain English, in a way everyone can understand;
- We turn data (facts, observations, etc.) into actionable information so we, and our clients, can use it to make smart, informed decisions;
- We prescribe SMART (specific, measurable, assertive, realistic & timed) recommendations or opinions;
- The objective for most projects is to move our client from where they are to the best available outcome as quickly and inexpensively as possible while always maintaining professional integrity.
- We exercise a "Deliberate Practice" throughout our business, which simply involves a disciplined cycling endlessly through (1.) performance, (2.) analysis of the performance, and (3.) modification of performance with the explicit intention of improving.
- We have an accountability-based "Peer Review Culture" with quality control milestones build-in to every project plan, which puts everyone in the production process responsible for quality.
- We apply quality improvement tools like Lean Six Sigma to perpetually improve our core processes, set the highest standards, and decrease variability.
We have a well-defined philosophy and process to manage the building life-cycle from preliminary design through decommissioning. We have built a world-class proprietary information system that helps us execute faster, better and cheaper; our system picks up where Google and Zillow leave off. All of the information we collect and create is stored in this cloud-based, password-protected information system, forever, for free. Our unique process combines technical construction experts with project management professionals who work together using proprietary technology and best-practice standards (rather than merely relying on "opinion" or "experience") to deliver consistent results. Every year we work on projects as widely varied as single-family residences; multi-family and mixed-use developments; commercial, institutional, and industrial construction; and low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise buildings. We have learned that effective management of lifetime costs and quality of buildings is about process discipline. Our most important job is to help our clients make smart, informed decisions about building and buildings.
We focus on real, practical solutions. We call our service guarantee, our written measure of excellence, "Awesome Work," since our solutions require us to (1.) always communicate in plain English that everyone can understand; (2.) turn data into information so we, and our clients, can use it to make smart, informed decisions; (3.) to prescribe a set of SMART (specific, measurable, assertive, realistic and timed) recommendations or opinions that (4.) will move our client from where they are to the best available alternative as quickly and inexpensively as possible, while maintaining our professional integrity.
Why We Do It
Buildings are important. In the U.S. alone, there are more than 125 million homes, more than 333,000 residential community associations, and 5.6 million commercial buildings, comprising 87.4 billion square feet of floor space. The building maintenance, repair and improvement industry is messy, inefficient and the ignoble recipient of more consumer complaints than almost any other industry. Most people spend 20-50% of their income on housing. Saving even a small fraction of the lifetime cost of these buildings has an extraordinarily positive and tangible impact.
Construction management is hard and it’s complex. Construction Management is a professional discipline that should be regulated like architecture, engineering, or even cosmetology; but it’s not. This lack of recognition, that there is a set of well-defined construction management principles, leads property owners and managers to try to save money by managing complex projects themselves. Our experience is that for maintenance, improvement or repair projects that cost $50,000 or more, our services are cost-neutral. For projects of $100,000 or more, our services are a cost saver. So technically, our services are FREE, plus a profit. In addition to the economics, our services create the closest thing to a guarantee of success that the construction industry can offer.