Contact Us: 866-706-7327

Safety Meeting: Administrative Requirements

Summary of This Section

Employers must meet certain administrative requirements that may include Cal/OSHA notification, specific registration, permitting, certification, recordkeeping, and the posting of information in the workplace. Some of these requirements depend on the construction trade or type of activity in which employers are involved. 

The requirements include:

A.      A list of the 7 documents required at the jobsite including the IIP (Illness & Injury Prevention) Program, Code of Safe Practices, required permits and certifications, Respiratory Protection Program, Heat Illness Prevention, and fall protection plan. 

B.      A list of the 11 types of postings required at the jobsite including Cal/OSHA poster “Safety and Health Protection on the Job,” Code of Safe Practices, Emergency phone numbers, certain permits and rules, citations, and numerous specific warnings. 

C.      A list of the 6 types of information covered by recordkeeping requirements including lock-out/block-out activity records, operation and maintenance activity records, medical surveillance program and records, training records, and inspection records.

D.      6 types of incidents and activities that require Cal/OSHA reports and notifications including serious injury or death, blasting accidents, asbestos-related work, use of carcinogens, and construction involving lead-work.

E.       Employees must be put on notice when these regulated substances are or have been present: asbestos, methylenedianiline, cadmium, chromium (VI), lead, vinyl chloride, or formaldehyde: 

F.       Project or Annual permits are required for various construction activities mine or tunnel work; work more than 36 ft. high including demolition, tower cranes, structural steel. curtain walls/precast panels, metal or other decking, concrete. structural framing, and scaffolding; and trenches or excavations 5 ft. or deeper into which a person is required to enter. 

G.      Certification is necessary for cranes and derricks, asbestos consultants, and many other activities and trades.

H.      Registration and licensing are required for asbestos-related work on 100 sq. ft. or more, and blasting. 

Why We care

Pete Fowler Construction does three key things: 

1.       Building Inspection & Testing of many types.

2.       Construction Management, specifically cost estimating and building rehabilitation for owners.

3.       Claims & Litigation consulting including construction defect litigation, expert testimony, and everything imaginable that could make someone frustrated, sad, or mad about real estate.

Every year we work on projects as varying as single-family residences, multi-family projects, mixed use developments, commercial, institutional, industrial, low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise construction. We operate in the private and public sectors and with for-profit and non-profit organizations. Current clients include property owners and managers, developers and contractors, product manufacturers and suppliers, insurers and lawyers. Our experts are educated, experienced, licensed, certified, and trained to solve any pain-point you’re likely to encounter, before, during, or after construction. And they are litigation-savvy. We serve as expert witnesses for every role in the building business, including most subtrades.

And EVERY bit of this work needs to be done safely. Plus, we regularly testify as to the standard of care of the parties in litigation, and their roles and responsibilities in keeping employees and the public safe during and after construction, inside and around buildings. 

Full Text: Administrative Requirements


Updated June 2015 


Beginning on Page 4

Employers must meet certain administrative requirements that may include Cal/OSHA notification, specific registration, permitting, certification, recordkeeping, and the posting of information in the workplace. Some of these requirements depend on the construction trade or type of activity in which employers are involved. The more common requirements are listed below:

A. Documents required at the jobsite include the following:

a.       IIP Program: Program document may be kept in the office. 1509(a), 3203(a)

b.       Code of Safe Practices. 1509(b)

c.       All Cal/OSHA-required permits. 341

d.       All Cal/OSHA-required certifications. Various

e.       Respiratory Protection Program for all work sites where respirators are mandatory. 5144(c)

f.        Heat Illness Prevention. 3395

g.       Fall protection plan, if required. 1671.1

B. Postings required at the jobsite include the following:

a.       Cal/OSHA poster “Safety and Health Protection on the Job”. 340

b.       Code of Safe Practices. 1509(b),(c)

c.       Emergency phone numbers. 1512(e)

d.       Employee access to records notification to inform employees that they have the right to gain access to medical and exposure records. 3204(g) 

e.       Operating permit for air tanks. 461(a)

f.        Operating rules for industrial trucks and tow tractors (if used), where employees operate forklifts. 3664, 3650(c)

g.       Authorized access at controlled access zones (CAZs). 1671.1, 1671.2

h.       Variance process. 411.3

i.         Cal/OSHA registration. 341.4, 341.10

j.         Citations. 332.4

k.       Hazard warning signs at the following jobsites:

1.       Where asbestos work is being done. 341.10, 1529(k)

2.       Where lead work is being done. 1532.1(m)

3.       At confined work spaces. 5156, 5157, 5158

4.       At controlled access zones. 1671.2

5.       On cranes, concrete pumps, highlift trucks, etc., (high-voltage warning signs). 2947, Group 13

6.       On powder-actuated tools. 1691(n)

7.       On lasers (laser levels, etc.). 1801(d)

8.       On air compressors with an automatic-start function. 3320

C. Recordkeeping requirements are included in T8 CCR for the purpose of establishing a historical record of compliance. These requirements include the following:

a.       OSHA Log 300. New rules and forms took effect in January 2002. Note: You can download a package of forms and instructions for Log 300 record keeping from the Cal/OSHA Consultation Services on the Internet at www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/etools/ recordkeeping/index.html and click on “Forms and Instructions.” 

b.       Lock-out/block-out activity records. 3314

c.       Operation and maintenance activity records. 1509, 3203

d.       Medical surveillance program and records.

e.       Training records.

f.        Inspection records.

D. Reports and notifications to Cal/OSHA must be made of the following incidents and activities:

a.       Serious injury or death. A report must be made immediately by telephone (within 8 hours) to a district office. Employers are allowed 24 hours if they can show that circumstances prevented the report from being made in 8 hours. 342(a). Note: A serious injury or illness is defined as one that requires inpatient hospitalization for more than 24 hours of care other than medical observation or when an employee suffers a loss of a member of the body or a serious degree of permanent disfigurement. 330(h)

b.       Blasting accidents or unusual occurrences. A report must be forwarded to the district office within 24 hours. 5248(a) 

c.       Construction activities annual permit. Employers governed by an annual permit must notify DOSH before starting the work. 341.1(f) 

 Asbestos-related work. The DOSH district office must be notified 24 hours before starting work that is subject to registration. 341.9(a) 

d.       Use of regulated carcinogens. The employer must report operations involving the use of a regulated carcinogen within 15 days. 5203

e.       Construction involving lead-work. Written notification must be made to the DOSH district office 24 hours before starting work. 1532.1(p) 

E. Employers should promptly notify affected employees of the monitoring results of ANY required monitoring for regulated substances. Such notifications must be made within the required time frame. Some common substances requiring notification include:

a.       Asbestos, methylenedianiline, cadmium, chromium (VI), and lead: Notify within 5 working days following receipt of monitoring results. 1529(f)(5)(A), 1535(f)(7)(A), 1532(d)(5)(A), 1532.2(d)(4)(A), 1532.1(d)(8)(A)

b.       Vinyl chloride: Notify within 15 working days following receipt of monitoring results. 5190(d)(4)(A), 5210(d)(6)

c.       Formaldehyde: Notify within 15 days following receipt of monitoring results. 5217(d)(6)

F. Project or Annual permits issued by Cal/OSHA are required for various construction activities. 341

a.       A Project Permit is required for: 341(d)

1.       Use of diesel engines in any mine or tunnel

2.       Demolition or dismantling a structure more than 36 ft. high. 341(d)(3)

3.       Erecting/raising/lowering or dismantling a fixed tower crane

a.       Annual Permit is needed for employers when the structure is over 36 ft. high: 341(d)(4)

1.       Erection and placement of structural steel or structural members other than steel

2.       Installation of curtain walls/precast panels or fascia

3.       Installation of metal or other decking

4.       Forming or placement of concrete structures/decks on steel structures

5.       Installation of structural framing (including roof framing) or panelized roof systems

b.       Annual or Project Permit is needed for:

1.       Construction of trenches or excavations 5 ft. or deeper into which a person is required to enter

2.       Erection and placement of scaffolding, vertical shoring, or falsework more than 36 ft. high

c.       Operating permit is required for:

1.       Operating specified air compressors. 461

2.       Operating tower cranes if the employer is subject to 341, 341.1, 344.70 Note: Most permits can be obtained from a DOSH district office. A safety conference and a review of the employer’s safety program will be scheduled before permit issuance. 341.1(c) Exception: Permit requirements do not apply to certain activities. See 341(e)

d.       Certification requirements are necessary in the following circumstances:

1.       Power operated cranes and derricks exceeding 3 tons rated capacity shall not be used in lifting service until the equipment has been certified by a DOSH licensed certifier. 1610.9

2.       Operators of mobile and tower cranes must have a valid certificate. See exceptions. 1618.1

3.       Asbestos consultants and site surveillance technicians must be certified by DOSH. 341.15

4.       Training certification is required for many activities and trades (see specific SOs). Title 8

G. Registration and licensing are required in the following circumstances:

a.       Asbestos registration. An employer must register with DOSH when engaged in asbestos-related work on 100 sq. ft. or more of surface area. 341.6

b.       Blaster’s License. The blaster must be a licensed blaster or directed by a licensed blaster and be at least 21 years of age. 5238